Family / Music / Outdoors / History & Heritage / Bewdley / Kidderminster
Step Back to the 1940s
Get in the mood for two rip-roaring weekends of Flyin’ Forties fun, as we step back to the 1940s on the home front.
About this event
Dates, address & more
We’re in the mood for two rip-roaring weekends of 1940s fun, as the Severn Valley Railway steps back in time on June 24th and 25th & July 1st and 2nd.
Join us for Step Back to the 1940s as we throw back 16 miles of railway to the home front for an immersive 1940s experience – Brylcreem your hair, don your best hat and dancing shoes, starch your trousers, tan your legs with gravy browning, put in your victory rolls and get set for some 1940s fun!
Feel the spirit of the British home front brought to Worcestershire and Shropshire as you travel by heritage steam train to each station, where there is always something different to discover, see, do or dance to!
Be part of the congregation at a 1940s wedding, bargain with the black market traders at our bumper vintage stalls, learn to jive at a dance class, fill up on spam sandwiches, listen to a rousing speech from Winston Churchill and much, much more. There’ll be a few surprises along the way….
Application forms for Reenactors, Traders, Vehicle Owners & Entertainers can be found here.
- Classic Vehicles
- NEW FOR 2023 Vehicles Convey (twice a day) to Bewdley and Return
- Bombed out building
- Road Works display with small steam roller
- NEW FOR 2023 Valentine Tank (one weekend only)
- Bombed out building
- 1940s Shop
- 1940s House
- NEW FOR 2023 Wartime Police Station with police and spivs on the platform
- Air Raid Shelter
- ARP Sandbag Hut
- Field Marshall Montogory and the South Gloustershire regiment
- Live Music from the Kalamazoo Dance Band, plus second act yet to be announced!
- NEW FOR 2023 Tea Dance on dancefloor throughout the day – with professional dancers
- NEW FOR 2023 Wartime dance lessons on the dance floor
- Timber Corp display in the Orchard (Worcestershire at War)
- NEW FOR 2023 Bombed out Shop Keeper in waiting room
- Joe Thomas performing a George Formby tribute at the station
- Laurel and Hardy meet and greet on the station
- Kemp Hospice
- Vehicle display
- NEW FOR 2023 Vehicle Convey (twice a day) to Bewdley and Return
- Wartime Wedding with congregation
- Advanced field hospital and weapons display
- vintage vehicles, including 1940s caravans
- NEW FOR 2023 Evacuee disembark for wartime games
- Anderson Shelter
- 40s crooner Kevin Mac
- Royal Engineers bomb disposal display (Homefires)
- NEW FOR 2023 Replica Spitfire and operational Merlin Engine (Second weekend only)
- 40s Market Place with traders
- Entertainment from Kitten Von Mew and The Lancashire Belles
- Meet and greet with Winston Churchill and wartime speeches.
- Beer Tent and BBQ outside the Engine House
- 1940s Traders
- Vintage Vehicles
- NAAFI van selling refreshments
- Entertainment from the ever-popular Brandyn Shaw and The Ronnies
- Winston Churchill greeting crowds across the railway
- Stations all dressed for an immersive 40s experience
- NEW FOR 2023 1940s styled catering on offer across all outlets
- Spivs on the train, trying to sell you their illicit goods
- Saturday 24 June 2023, 8:00 - All day
- Sunday 25 June 2023, 0:00 - All day
- Saturday 1 July 2023, 0:00 - All day
- Sunday 2 July 2023, 0:00 - All day
United Kingdom Get directions
Nearby places to stay
Explore the area
Hogarths Stone Manor Hotel
Tudor Manor House set in 27 acres of grounds and gardens. …
Gainsborough House Hotel
The Gainsborough has just about everything to offer...Civil…
Bewdley Hill House Bed & Breakfast
Bewdley Hill House is an Edwardian villa offering traditional…
Wolverley Camping & Caravanning Club
A quiet village campsite set in 12 acres adjacent to canal.…
Whilst you are here...
Open House Weekend (Behind the Scenes) isn't far away
The Severn Valley Railway throws open its doors to give you the chance to go behind the scenes.View event
Plan your visit
Read our useful information