#Foodie Friday - Worcestershire Strawberry, Basil and Dark Chocolate Summer Pudding
Nothing say’s British Summer time then fresh strawberry’s and here in Worcestershire we are lucky enough to have a number of growers, who not only supply to supermarkets but also offer Pick Your Own (PYO).
So with the weekend approaching, why not head out to a local PYO farm – and if any Strawberry’s make it home – we have a beautiful pudding recipe from Felice Tocchini head chef at Feli’s Restaurant to enjoy…
2 cardamom pods
2cm cinnamon stick
½ vanilla pod
1 star anise
Small bunch baby basil
Enough sliced bread to create 12 discs about 7-8cm diameter
80g dark chocolate cut into small chunks
- Place all the spices in a hot pan and cook for a minute covered
- Add the fruits cover and cook for 1 minute, shaking the pan occasionally
- Add a squeeze of honey and mix; flame with the liquor if used, remove from the fire.
- Add the basil and pour into a cold container, cover and leave to infuse for 10 minutes
- Add the chopped chocolate
- Heat up a large frying pan, when hot toast the bread in it without colouring it too much, sprinkle with the sugar and leave on the side.
- Carry on toasting until all the bread is ready.
- Using a metal ring, soak one piece of the bread into the strawberry juice and place at the bottom of each ring
- Remove the spices from the fruits before filling the ring halfway. Soak another piece of bread in the strawberry juice place in the ring on top of the strawberries and top again with more strawberries, finish the pudding with a last piece of bread soaked in the juices.
- When set, remove the mould, and serve with a spoonful of mascarpone cheese or whipped double cream
©Felice Tocchini 2014
To see more from Felice and to order a beautiful takeaway while the restaurant is closed please visit their website.