Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum – Museum
City Art Gallery & Museum, Foregate Street, Worcester, WR1 1DT
There are lots of things to see and do in Worcester City Museum Gallery and entry is free! Since 1833 a collection of breathtaking variety and interest has been created for the City of Worcester.
Housed in a beautiful Victorian building, Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum runs a lively programme of exhibitions, activities and events for all the family. Explore the fascinating historic display including a 20th century chemist shop or drop in to see the contemporary art exhibitions.
Our museum gallery celebrates these amazing objects and the fascinating stories that lie at the very heart of this collection.
- The famous Worcester industrialists and philanthropists who funded our institution.
- The artists and craftspeople whose work was an inspiration
- The adventurers and explorers who brought back tales and objects from the far flung corners of the world.
- The early pioneers of the emerging sciences of archaeology, geology and natural history whose work made sense of the world around them.
Highlights in the gallery include:
- Dinosaur Footprints – see the print and imprint of an Iguanodon, a three toed dinosaur of the cretaceous period, who made this footprint over 130 million years ago.
- Lea and Perrins Archive – thanks to a generous loan by Lea and Perrins, our visitors can now see some of the company’s finest historic items including the extremely rare lignite jug first used to mix the world famous sauce.
- Glover’s Workshop – Worcester’s gloving industry enjoyed worldwide success. Come and see for yourself what the inside of a glover’s workshop would look like.
- Roman Mosaic Pavement – a Roman mosaic discovered at Bays Meadow Roman Villa in Droitwich, the opulent home of the official who controlled the local salt industry.
- The Ethnographic Collection – weapons, skins, furs and trophies brought from the uncharted territories of the world by Worcester’s Victorian adventurers.
- As well as these wonderful objects there are plenty of activities to keep the kids amused.
The Gallery is open Monday – Saturday: 10.30am – 4.30pm.
- Accepts groups
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Free Entry
- Gift shop
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Welcome Host
- Wheelchairs available