Worcestershire County Museum – Groups
Hartlebury Castle, Hartlebury, Nr. Kidderminster, DY11 7XZ
The County Museum tells Worcestershire’s story from prehistory to the twentieth century & is housed in the magnificent surroundings of Hartlebury Castle.
WWhether you are looking for a chance to learn about everything from Romans to Regency, a peaceful stroll through nature or just a nice cup of tea and a cake Worcestershire County Museum, housed in historic Hartlebury Castle, has it all.
Why bring your group to Hartlebury?
- Groups are very welcome at Hartlebury Castle – we offer coach parking, special group offers in the Café, and free entry for your coach driver.
- Additional talks on a variety of subjects can be provided by the museum curators at an extra cost
- Behind-the-scenes tours of our large off-site Collection Centre can also be arranged for groups
- Evening group visits can also be arranged
Group visits to the whole Hartlebury Castle site cost £8.10 for adults and £7.20 for concessions, which allows access to the Bishops Palace, State Rooms, County Museum and Grounds. If you visit on a Tuesday you will also be able to view the fascinating Hurd Library. To receive these discounted prices your group must be a minimum of 10 people and your visit must be pre-booked. It may also be possible to arrange an evening group visits or a visit on a Monday when we are usually closed, please get in touch if this is something you would like to discuss.
For more information please download our Group Visit Information Pack, which also contains booking forms. If you would like to discuss a Group Visit please contact us on 01299 250416.
The Friends of Hartlebury Castle & the Hurd Library also offer private tours of the Hurd Library and parts of the Castle for pre-booked groups. These tours cost £11.50 per person and include access to the rest of the Castle site and the Museum before and after your tour. To make an enquiry about a Friends Tour please contact Penny Greenwood by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Museums Worcestershire is also able to offer pre-booked groups a special behind-the-scenes tour of Museums Worcestershire’s Collections Centre, our off-site store containing thousands of objects which we are unable to display in our museums. These tours cost £6 per person and are for a minimum of 8 people. For more information please download our Behind the Scenes Tour Information Sheet.
If you are looking for information about bringing a school group please visit the Learning section of our website.
Schools Activities at The County Museum
A visit to the County Museum at Hartlebury is a step back in time for learners of all ages. Through role-play and immersive learning, pupils can discover over 1000 years of history in this castle location and intriguing stories of Worcestershire’s past.
Whether it’s a lesson with the school teacher in the Victorian Schoolroom, or meeting the servants in the Scullery, children will find out first-hand what life was really like in historic Worcestershire. From costume to caravans, travel to toys there is something for all ages to explore.
We offer the following topics for schools. Please bear in mind that these sessions are guidelines but can be adapted to suit your pupils’ ages and SEN requirements or to suit your educational programme.
- Victorian Schoolroom– Experience a typical school day in our Victorian schoolroom.
- Below Stairs– Discover what life would have been like for the servants working in a large Victorian house
- Toys Through Time– A hands-on activity comparing toys today and toys in the past.
- Classroom at War– An opportunity for children to experience a day in the life of a Wartime evacuee.
- Make Do and Mend– Discover what life was like for children during World War Two
- Homes Long Ago– A hands-on activity comparing our homes today and homes in the past.
Bringing the Museum to You
If you aren’t able to get to the County Museum at Hartlebury for the day, you can still access the county collection through loans boxes or find out more about how we can create the experience of a Museum in Your Classroom.
Plan Your Visit
Contact the museum to check availability on your preferred date, we can provide an outline of museum admission and activity costs as well as details of the workshops on offer. Free preliminary visits for teachers are available and highly recommended.
You can find out more about the museum, general facilities, accessibility and directions on the Visit the County Museum page.
How to book
For more information, to discuss or make a school booking for the County Museum at Hartlebury contact Su Vale, Learning and Resources Assistant on 01299 250416 or email email@example.com. See our full location details.
- Accepts groups
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- Disabled toilets
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Gift shop
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Public toilets
- Welcome Host
- Wheelchairs available